High 5 for Quality - Provider Page
Research shows that high quality early childhood education programs improve a child’s readiness for school and prepares them for success in kindergarten and beyond. High 5 for Quality is El Dorado County’s quality rating and improvement system (QRIS) for licensed early care and education providers and is based upon well-defined, high quality standards and offers support and incentives to assist providers in reaching higher levels of quality. The goals of High 5 for Quality are to improve the quality of early care and education programs in El Dorado County and to offer parents and families an identifiable symbol of quality.
What is a Quality Rating Improvement System (QRIS)?
A Quality Rating Improvement System is used to assess, improve and communicate the levels of quality in early learning programs based upon research-based continuum of quality standards called the Calfornia Quality Rating Matrix. Quality standards that are assessed and rated are organized into three core areas:
1. Child Development and School Readiness
- Child Observation and Assessment
- Child Health and Developmental Screening
2. Teachers and Teaching
- Staff and Director educational qualifications and ongoing professional development
- Teacher-Child Interactions
3. Program and Environment
- Learning Environment
- Adult-Child Ratios and Group Size
For more information about each rated element and the California Quality Rating Matrix Click here: Quality Continuum Framework Matrix
The higher the quality standards, the higher the rating for the program. High 5 for Quality rates a program on a 1 to 5 scale. To see the Rating Guide click here.
A QRIS supports early learning educators/providers with increased training and support and provides parents/families with information on the type of learning and care their young children receive. High 5 for Quality . RTT grantees are to provide a system of supports to participating programs to help them improve their levels of quality over the grant cycle.
Resources and Support for Early Care and Education Providers
Participating early care and education providers receive many resources and support as part of the High 5 for Quality program including:
- Funding for improvement plans
- Professional development and training
- On-site teacher coaching and technical assistance to meet quality standards and increase quality
- Incentives and scholarships for staff training and educational attainment
Who is Eligible for High 5 for Quality?
All licensed family child care homes and public and private centers are eligible. Priority will be given to licensed sites serving high needs children.
How do you become involved with High 5 for Quality?
- Please call Lori Blackburn, 530-295-2403, to learn about upcoming Information Sessions.
- Submit a preliminary application for consideration.
- Enroll in CARES for supports for training and education.
- Begin to evaluate your own program Self Assessment Document.
- Contact us – H5Q@edcoe.org or 530-295-2403.
- Letter to Families
- Developmental and Behavioral Screening Guide for ECE Providers
- Ages and Stages Completion Form Template
- Teaching Staff Qualifications Cover Sheet
- Tips for Developing the Site Improvement Plan
- Quality Improvement Core Tools & Resources
- Child Development Permit (Spanish)
- Family Strengthening Program Self-Assessment
- PD Pathways Self-Assessment and Planning.docx
- Online Training Resources
High 5 for Quality Important Links
- Classroom Assessment Scoring System – www.teachstone.org
- Harmes Clifford Environmental Rating Scale - ers.fpg.unc.edu
- Community Care Licensing - www.ccld.ca.gov
- Choices for Children Training Calendar
- California Early Childhood Online Website